I've been collecting NZR loco kitsets like they're going out of fashion. Despite struggling to get my Wa running (Link
) I knew that when it eventually did run, I'd need to have something for it to do. So, I pulled out one of the rolling stock kits I'd also be studiously collecting.
It looked like the S wagon was made from two, four-wheel sheep wagons, plonked on a bogie frame. The frame itself was easy enough to make. I didn't add extra detail like brakes, I just wanted to get it on the rails and running.
The slat sides of the sheep-carrying bits went together okay, after being subject to a lot of cleanup. I used a file, followed by a #11 scalpel to scrape flash off the edges of all the slats, and scribe planking a bit more deeply to sharpen up the detail.
I had first used low-melt solder on a Q coal wagon and used it again on this kit. Once I'd gotten the hang of it, low-melt solder was faster to use than five-minute epoxy, and easier to work. I just scratched the castings so they were bright, and then use a reasonable amount of flux. I need to talk to a pro about the best flux to use, next time. I have a nice paste flux that's great for brass, but I don't think it's aggressive enough for white metal.
The low-melt solder also made adding the brass wire that simulates the upper cage, much neater and easier than epoxy.
The only thing that caught me out with the kit, was due to shrinkage (I suppose) the two boxes were not quite accurate in size and were a little twisted. I have another of these kits. When I'm building it, I'll make a jig for the sides so that the sides and ends are all the same size, as well as square.